Another year, another list of goals. But first, I want to take a little look back at the goals for 2019:
- ❌ Building a MVP for a family tree application: While I spent quite some time during the summer months working on that, the system is still far from being usable by others in my family.
- ✅ Eating less meat: Over the course of the last 12 months I’ve dialed down consumption of meat quite drastically. I’m far from calling myself a vegetarian but I try to avoid esp. low-quality and non-regional sources of meat. This means that I’m now eating more vegetables and cheese than in previous years. So far, so good :)
- ✅ 85kg by 1 July: I managed to get there in time. Sadly, I gained pretty much everything back by December so there is still work to do :)
- ✅ At the gym once a week: With the exception of weeks where I was ill or simply couldn’t make it due to traveling I managed to visit the gym (or do some other form of training when no gym was available) every single week of 2019!
For the new year I want to build upon what I did last year:
- By 1 July I want to be, once again, at 85kg. I did it once, I will do it again! To do this I will go to the gym at least once a week!
- I should really spend some time on the MVP for the family tree application.
- On the technical side I want to spend time getting better at pair-programming, TDD, and XP in general. I’ve done all of that before but I really want to get back into the habit. Robert C. Martin’s book “Clean Agile” motivated me quite a bit on that front!
- I want to build up more knowledge and skills in my new role as software architect. It’s hard to put that into some kind of quantitive goal, though. Perhaps I’ll find some events trainings that fit my role here 🙂
iOS development is something else I’ve tried again and again over the last couple of years. So perhaps I will succeed this time around, I don’t really want to put that into a goal, though. Also: Four is a good number to focus on 😅